[Samba] Samba over IPX

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Wed Apr 27 09:19:06 MDT 2011

Hi,

Tecnically there should be no problem implementing IPX support in Samba like it worked with DOS Lan Manager and Windows for Workgroups. It has nothing to do with NCP and Netware. NCP is akin to SMB, not TCP. IPX has SPX which is the connection-oriented protocol, while IPX would be used directly for datagram messages (like UDP). I guess the same kernel syscalls and glibc sockets API would support the IPX stack instead of TCP/IP, so it would not be so big a change in code. If someone wants to try, just grab the sources and start hacking (I won't). But I heard IPX support is no longer mantained in current linux kernels, and thus porting Samba to IPX could be a dead-end.

In the short run, Chris could try mars_nwe which is an open source Netware 3.x compatible file server. I have used it extensively to support clipper apps. You'd need the Netware client for DOS instead of the MS Network Client for DOS, and would save a few extra KB from the 640KB range.

Another thing to check is FreeDOS instead of MS-DOS. It's said it uses less real memory.

[]s, Fernando Lozano