[Samba] Folder Encryption and Samba

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Apr 20 14:11:10 MDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 09:28:28AM -0700, Aaron Clausen wrote:
> It's been passed to me from on high that one of our file servers needs
> to be encrypted.  I'm considering either whole-disk encryption or
> folder encryption.  I like the latter since, well, it's less work.
>
> Is there any particular folder encryption systems out there that the
> folks around here can recommend?

I don't know of any folder encryption in a normal Linux filesystem.
There are several per-filesystem encryption mechanisms. Samba also
supports over-the-wire transport encrpytion (and has done for many
years), but only for non-Windows clients (I'm bugging Steve French
and Jeff Layton to get this into the Linux CIFSFS client asap).

Jeremy.