[Samba] File permissions confusion

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Wed Apr 20 10:42:14 MDT 2011

From: James Moe <jimoe at sohnen-moe.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:21:04 -0700

> >   samba Version 3.5.4-5.3.1-2489-SUSE-SL11.3
> >
> >   I do not understand why the file permissions of mounted shares are
> > different when the share is viewed locally and when viewed remotely.

[...]
> >   Is there a way to have the actual, real, local permissions shown to
> > remote hosts?

No, CIFS essentially do not have the semantics of "permission".
Because it is natively used to share Windows file system, which does
not have the semantics.

The permissions of mounted shares are created by client CIFS module
internally and vanished when umounted.

This is not the limitation of Samba or CIFS module but of CIFS
protocol.

Use NFS instead.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>