[Samba] Large files and file permissions

Ellis Golub ellis at biochem.dental.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 14 13:11:21 MDT 2011

I am currently running Samba 3.0.25rc1 in a Silicon Graphics Tezro under IRIX
6.5.30.  I was forced to upgrade to Samba 3 in order to connect with Windows 7.
Prior to the upgrade, I could access the SGI machine running Samba 2 from
Windows XP.  After upgrading to Samba 3, I am able to connect, have full access
to all my files, and the only problem is that files on the share greater than
~20 Mb won't open or copy.  The attempt times out.

In an attempt to overcome this problem, I installed Samba 3.5.8.  This version
connects to my Windows 7 system, but I still can't access large files, and in
addition, I have lost write access to the share.

I then re-deployed Samba 3.0.25rc1 and reverted to the same behavior I had with
this version before - I have full write access, but those large files still
don't open.

I would appreciate any ideas from the community to resove these puzzling
problems.

Ellis
Ellis Golub                  Phone: (215) 898-4629
Biochemistry Department      FAX:   (215) 898-3695
School of Dental Medicine    ellis at biochem.dental.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania
240 South 40th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6030