[Samba] acl_xattr access denied when adding permissions for another user

Thomas Nau Thomas.Nau at uni-ulm.de
Wed Apr 6 02:21:41 MDT 2011

Hi Jeremy

On 04/06/2011 01:09 AM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:40:12PM +0200, Thomas Nau wrote:
>> Dear all
>> We run Samba 3.5.8 on a Solaris 11 box on top of ZFS We got the
>> impression that the VFS module acl_xattr provides the best way
>> of keeping Windows ACLs. We don't have concurrent NFS or local users
>> so it's Windows only.
>>
>> The clients as well as the Samba server are members of an AD domain.
>> Creating files/directories works as expected and also manipulating
>> permissions for the initial user/group does not raise any problem.
>> Trying to add permissions for an additional user (looked up in AD)
>> fails with the Windows XP client side "permission denied" pop-up box.
>
> If you're using ZFS (which has native NFSv4 ACLs) why not use
> the vfs_zfsacl module ?

We had issues in the past as ZFS and Windows have a different understanding
about how to sort ACLs. In combination with shared access to Excel documents
this lead to people out locking themselves. I just thought having an independent
ACL store would solve that problem for me :)

Are you using vfs_zfsacl and did you ever run into the problems I mentioned?

Thomas