[Samba] problem with linux server as domain member in samba pdc

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Wed Apr 6 00:57:39 MDT 2011

Be sure your ldap-client with getent group and getent passwd is working for
your ldap server on the member server.
Remove your member server again from your ldap-tree.
Stop samba on your member server. Delete your secrets.tdb in /etc/samba.
My config of my member server:
Security=domain
Preferred master=no
Local master=no
Domain master=no
Wins server=your.domain.server
#to be shure
Ldap admin dn=cn=youradmin,dc=your,dc=domain
Ldap suffix=dc=your,dc=domain
Ldap group suffix= ou=yourgoups
Ldap user suffix=ou=youusers
Ldap machine suffix= ou=yourmachines
Ldap idmap suffix= ou=Idmap
Idmap backend=ldap:ldap://yourldapserver
Idmap uid=10000-20000
Idmap gid=10000-20000

Then smbpasswd -a -e root ; must be the same password as for your samba pdc

/usr/bin/net rpc join -S PDC-host-name -Uadminuid%adminpass

Then service smb start

Working for me on any member server

Good Luck
Daniel