[Samba] Can't get 'dos filemode' to work as expected

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Mon Apr 4 10:25:19 MDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Felix Brack <fb at ltec.ch> wrote:
> # file: test-file
> # owner: root
> # group: root
> user::rwx
> group::rwx                      #effective:r--
> group:Development:rwx           #effective:r--
> mask::r--
> other::---

That's the same thing you would get if were logged into the system as
root and created the file. So it is an ACL issue.

> # file: test-file
> # owner: root
> # group: root
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> group:Development:rwx
> mask::rwx
> other::---
>
> At least now , If I am member of supplementary group 'Development', I should
> have the same rights in directory 'test-directory' as if this was owned by
> me (felix), right?

I would think so.

I don't know entirely what you want to accompplish, but it may be better to:
chgrp -R Development test-directory

And eliminate:
force group = Development
invalid users = root administrator
from the share.
While adding:
valid users = +Development (and any other groups you want have access)

The -s- flag will propagate new files and directories with the
Development group.

Basically a performance issue. See the section "Override controls" in:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/kerberos.html#id2613307

Chris