[Samba] Disk full / file corrupted

Dmitry Mordovin d.mordovin at dwide.com
Fri Apr 1 08:16:45 MDT 2011

Hello!

Sorry if I repeated.

I have next problem with Samba 3.5.8

*Scenario:*
- CentOS 5.5
- Mounted disk image with loop device to /mnt/.sharedDisk

mount (output)
/SharedDiskImage.img on /mnt/.sharedDisk type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,loop=/dev/loop0,uid=99)

df -h (output)
/SharedDiskImage.img 128M  128M  1.5K 100% /mnt/.sharedDisk

- Avail 1.5K space
- I was test with vfat, ext3, ext4 file system.

Samba share /mnt/.sharedDisk folder.

On my windows XP pc I map this share as network drive.
In drive properties I see, avail only 1.5K free disk space

However, I can open existed BMP image (10K size) with MS Paint, resize
image and save. Paint alert me disk is full.
Now my BMP image size is 54K, and corrupted.

Why 54K if only 1.5K avail?

Above example with MS Paint.
If I use MS Wordpad in same scenario (Save more data than avail) Wordpad
alert me in half of the cases.

This problem is very important for me.

I thinking, this problem with Paint and Wordpad and have been do some
alternative test.

I create virtual disk on local XP machine, and try same scenario, Paint
and Wordpad works well. They alert about disk full and not rewrite early
saved file.
So, I don't loss saved file.

Does it possible to solve this problem?

Thanks