[Samba] difference between samba running on solaris 10 and centos 5.5

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 06:46:38 MDT 2011

I believe ZFS uses "NFSv4" Acl's while Ext3 (or UFS)  uses Posix.
Supposedly the NFSv4 ACL's are closer to Windows.  My experience was
that ZFS gave more headaches than UFS in conjunction with Samba-   with
ZFS a perm such as "660" (i.e. user and group can read and write, but
not rights to anyone ELSE) sometimes got  interpreted by Samba as
"everyone is denied" which trumped the user and group "allow" ACE's.

What does getfacl show on the file?

What do you see for the permissions and effective permissions under
Windows?  Are there "Deny" ACE's?  Does windows complain about
permissions being ordered incorrectly?

I believe that Centos 5.x/RHEL5.x DOES enabled ACL's on Ext3 file
systems by default.