[Samba] Unable to connect to Samba share from Windows XP

Jaime Aguado tech.mustolense at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 03:23:30 MDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm integrating a Samba server in an Embedded Linux box, in order to share
the contents of the storage devices plugged in the USB port. For this, I
have created a share in the folder where the USB devices are always mounted,
giving free and exclusive access to the guest user.

The strange thing is that, when using a Linux machine (to be precise, with
Ubuntu), I can connect with no problem using any user or password by a
simple mount command. But when using Windows XP, even though I can see the
server with the NetBIOS name I have configured, there is no way I can
connect to the share. In fact, many times the connection attempt kills the
smbd daemon, although not the nmbd.

Anybody knows what can be happening? I've been trying to solve this for a
few days now without any success at all...

Many thanks in advance :)
Jaime