[Samba] kernel oplocks in ctdb environment

Bob Cregan bob.cregan at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 01:58:57 MDT 2011

Hi
         Can anyone advise me on "kernel oplocks" in a ctdb cluster.

I have a ctdb (GPFS is the parallel file system) setup that uses samba
(3.5.8) for cifs and IBM CNFS for NFS. Reading the documentation on
kernel oplocks it seems to me that I can export the same area via samba
and NFS with "kernel oplocks = Yes" .

My logic is that IBM CNFS has shared NFS locking information held on the
shared filesystem, and therefore the kernel on each member of the ctdb
cluster will be aware of any NFS locks. Samba with "kernel oplocks =
Yes" should then not provide opportunistic locking to a CIFS client that
want to access a file that has an NFS lock (giving an I/O error to that
client??).

Is this in fact what will happen? The ability to dual export area of the
filesystem would be very useful, but I don't want to risk data corruption.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

--
Bob Cregan