[Samba] cannot access samba server from outside domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 12:10:54 MDT 2010

Are the workstations XP, Vista or Win 7?

What happens if you log in to the non-domain workstation using a
username and password that match a valid domain name and password

If you run "testparm -v" on the samba server do you have both ports 139
and 445 open?

Yesterday I was trouble shooting a remote access issue as well.
Windows XP machines in the domain on the LAN have no problem with samba
shares.

A Window 7 user over VPN  could only access shares on some samba servers
but not others.   I tested over VPN with an XP workstation, I had
trouble with one server until I reenabled 445 by DISABLING the following
line in smb.conf

     smb ports = 139

Fixed it for XP, not for Win 7.  The logs on the server
(/var/log/samba/the-win7-machine) showed that the user failed with

[2010/09/30 05:01:10,  2] auth/auth.c:320(check_ntlm_password)
   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [jsmith] -> [jsmith]
FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD