[Samba] rpcclient errors

Jeffrey Bernhard jeffrey.bernhard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:53:30 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and loaded (via apt-get) Samba version 2:3.4.7
as part of the effort to bring up Sambafax. A dpkg-query gives the
following:

# dpkg-query -l  | fgrep samba
ii  libcrypt-smbhash-perl               0.12-3
generate LM/NT hash of a password for samba
ii  samba                               2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.1
SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for U
ii  samba-common                        2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.1
common files used by both the Samba server a
ii  samba-common-bin                    2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.1
common files used by both the Samba server a
ii  samba-doc                           2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.1
Samba documentation

The Windows drivers I've chosen are those used in a previous implementation
of Sambafax (now years old) running on an old Redhat kernel; I'm to 'update'
this but decided to use the Windows drivers of the old implementation with
the notion, "if it ain't broke"...

Populating /etc/samba/drivers with W32X86/2 and  WIN40/0 drivers, I see:

# ls -R /etc/samba/drivers
/etc/samba/drivers:
W32X86  WIN40

/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86:
2

/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86/2:
cups5.hlp  cupsdrv5.dll  cupsui5.dll  sambafax.ppd

/etc/samba/drivers/WIN40:
0

/etc/samba/drivers/WIN40/0:
ADFONTS.MFM   ADOBEPS4.HLP  ICONLIB.DLL  sambafax.ppd
ADOBEPS4.DRV  DEFPRTR2.PPD  PSMON.DLL

I've tried to run rpcclient with the "adddriver" subcommand which fails with
an different error for these 2 cases, and nothing specific in the error
messages to indicate what really is the problem:

# rpcclient -U 'Name%passwd' -c 'adddriver "Windows NT x86"
"sambafax:cupsdrv5.dll:sambafax.ppd:cupsui5.dll:cups5.hlp:NULL:RAW:NULL"'
localhost
result was WERR_BADFILE

and

# rpcclient -U 'Name%passwd' -c 'adddriver "Windows 4.0"
"sambafax:ADOBEPS4.DRV:sambafax.ppd:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV,sambafax.ppd,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,DEFPRTR2.PPD,ICONLIB.DLL"'
localhost
result was WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER

I've tried putting the driver files directly in /etc/samba/drivers prior to
executing the above rpcclient commands, as some comments on the net suggest
the 'adddriver' command expects them there and moves them to the appropriate
subdirectories but similar errors ensue.

The errors would appear to be on the server side, but of course that's the
same linux box.

I've been stuck on this a few days...

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the volume here, but I didn't want to leave out some useful detail
or other.

Jeff Bernhard