[Samba] using include directives for shares?

scott_stone at trendmicro.com scott_stone at trendmicro.com
Mon Sep 27 18:35:45 MDT 2010

From the smb.conf manpage, it says that an 'include <file>' will include that file into smb.conf as if it were typed in place.  Yet, I have a setup where:

/etc/samba/smb.conf contains:

[global]

               <various global parameters>

include /etc/samba/smb.conf.local

and then /etc/samba/smb.conf.local contains my share definitions.  I'm doing it this way because I'm using puppet to manage the global parameters on my various file servers, but each individual file server may have a different local configuration that operations guys without access to the puppetmaster might need to change.  It seems to me that this should be supported as I'm doing it, but it appears not - the shares defined in smb.conf.local aren't getting served.  What am I doing wrong, or am I running up against a known limitation?

Using CentOS 5, latest updates installed, samba RPM version samba-3.0.33-3.29.el5_5.1

Scott Stone <scott_stone at trendmicro.com>

Lead Developer, DCS-RD

Trend Micro, Inc. http://www.trendmicro.com

TREND MICRO EMAIL NOTICE
The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.