[Samba] performance transfer (samba VS ftp)

Sat Sep 18 13:09:11 MDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:27:55AM -0700, grant little wrote:
> I'm using gigerbit ethernet with samaba 3.4.7 default network settings under
> ubuntu 10.04 LTS server and last eveing I moved 35 Gigbytes from an iMac to
> the samba server  over gigabit ethernet and it took around 15 minutes which
> works out to around 300 mega bits per second which is about a third of wire
> speed which on tests comes out at about 920 Mbits/sec.
> I have seen mention on this list a while back that the smb protocol is the
> bottleneck. OTOH I can live with 300Mbits/sec

The SMB protocol as such is not the bottleneck. It's the
typical client use of it that accounts for many
inefficiencies. I'm not saying that smbd could not be
improved, but the clients using SMB inefficiently is what
makes it slow in the vast majority of the cases I have seen
so far.

Volker