[Samba] performance transfer (samba VS ftp)

grant little grantliddle at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 11:27:55 MDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

> Volker Lendecke put forth on 9/18/2010 12:44 AM:
> > On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:22:53AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >> Pol Hallen put forth on 9/15/2010 9:36 AM:

> an

> >> Good luck.  It appears that tuning smbd and clients, both Windows and
> >> smbclient, to get anywhere close to wire speed is somewhat of a black
> >> art.  I asked the same question many months ago, and dropped the subject
> >> after Jeremy said it had to be a problem with the W2K redirector.  Funny
> >> thing is, that same W2K redirector can pull at almost wire speed from a
> >> WinXP box.  The most I've ever been able to get out of smbd is ~8MB/s.
> >> I'm running 3.2.5-4lenny12.  To get anything better than that I'll have
> >> to go to GigE.  I probably won't get anywhere close to wire speed, but I
> >> should get at least 30-40MB/s, which is 4-5 times what I get now, and
> >> would thus be a huge improvement for relatively little cost--a few NICs
> >> and a decent desktop GigE switch can be had for around $100 USD.  Even
> >> without using jumbo frames this would be a huge improvement over 100FDX.
> >
> > As always: What about get/put of large files with smbclient, >= 3.2?
>
> Hi Volker.
>
> I don't have a Linux client machine to test smbclient against my
> Debian/Samba server.  However, running smbclient (3.2.5) on the server
> and connecting to shares on a WinXP machine and W2K Pro machine hits 11
> MB/s (near wire speed of 12.5) all day long with GETing moderate to
> large files (30MB+).  PUTing the same files maxes out at ~6MB/s--very
> lopsided.  I've tried various smbclient -O socket options with no effect
> on PUT performance.
>
> Copying from an smbd share to the Windows machines maxes at 9MB/s.
> Copying from the Windows machines to an smbd share yields 8MB/s--much
> more consistent than smbclient.
>
> It sure would be nice to have smbclient's 11MB/s GET speed in both
> directions with all OSes involved.
>
> I've tried every option and optimization in smb.conf and the registries
> of both Windows machines and can't get over 9MB/s.  It's sure better
> than the 5MB/s come people report, so I'm not complaining.  It's kinda
> academic anyway, because the bulk of our transfers to/from smbd are
> large quantities of small files (< 1MB).  Such transfers can crawl at
> less than 1MB/s.  Like I said, I think the best solution for me would be
> to move to GigE.
>
> --

I'm using gigerbit ethernet with samaba 3.4.7 default network settings under
ubuntu 10.04 LTS server and last eveing I moved 35 Gigbytes from an iMac to
the samba server  over gigabit ethernet and it took around 15 minutes which
works out to around 300 mega bits per second which is about a third of wire
speed which on tests comes out at about 920 Mbits/sec.
I have seen mention on this list a while back that the smb protocol is the
bottleneck. OTOH I can live with 300Mbits/sec