[Samba] Reverse DNS, Kerberos, and Samba4 as a DC

Alex Waite awaite at mcw.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:39:00 MDT 2010

Hey everyone,
     I'm one of those crazy people willing to try setting up Samba4
alpha in a small production environment as a DC.  I've followed the
Samba4 HowTo (which is excellent by the way) and have a domain setup and
functioning in a test environment.
     My production network, however, is not quite as nice as my test
network.  I have convinced IT (I work for a group of research labs,
independent of the main IT group here) to delegate control of my
department's subdomain to a DNS server I control.  However, rDNS has
turned out to be a real sticking point.  Subnets are setup
geographically here and I cannot have an entire subnet assigned to my
department.  I've brought up using Classless in-addr.arpa. delegation
(RFC 2317) or setting up our own VLAN, but movement has been slow on
these options.
     I've continued researching and it seems that it may be possible to
setup Kerberos without rDNS.  I'm having a difficult time finding hard
information on this, so I wanted to ask the Samba community what they
know about this, and if it's possible configure Kerberos sans-rDNS to
function correctly in a Samba4 driven domain.
     Thank you to everyone for their hard work on this project, and for
taking the time to write such good documentation.  It really is quite
helpful.

---Alex