[Samba] smbclient sending no frames outside local VLAN

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Sep 14 08:57:37 MDT 2010

[I don't know whether this is the appropriate list, if not please let me know to whom to write. I submitted this as a CUPS bug and they replied by asking me to contact the "Samba folks"… I guess that is you]

Hi,

I'm using a MacBook Pro with MacOS X 10.6.4 and am trying to print on my company's printer accessible via samba.
Whenever I try to access the print server via smbclient I get:

pc-salsa-info-092:py yannis$ smbclient -L vss-cups-03.priv.enst-bretagne.fr -U yharalam
Error connecting to 10.29.90.8 (Host is down)
Connection to vss-cups-03.priv.enst-bretagne.fr failed (Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

Actually the print server is alive and perfectly accessible via ping.

The print server IP is outside my VLAN (my IP is 10.66.145.92 and the mask 255.255.0.0). When I do an smbclient to a machine in my VLAN I get a quite different result:

pc-salsa-info-092:py yannis$ smbclient -L 10.66.145.90 -U yharalam
timeout connecting to 10.66.145.90:445
timeout connecting to 10.66.145.90:139
Error connecting to 10.66.145.90 (Operation already in progress)
Connection to 10.66.145.90 failed (Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

Which means that the 10.66.145.90 is seen while the 10.29.90.8 print server is not.

Surprisingly, when I do a tcpdump, I see outgoing frames in the first case (inside VLAN), but not in the second (outside VLAN). In other words: when attempting a smb connection outside my VLAN, MacOS X will not even send a single frame.

My firewall is deactivated. What can be the cause of this refusal to do a smb connection? Is this a configuration problem?
Strange as it may seem, I managed to print the first day, the problem only appeared the second day and I still cannot print at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Yannis Haralambous
Directeur d'études
Institut Télécom, Télécom Bretagne
Département Informatique
UMR CNRS 3192 Lab-STICC
Technopôle Brest Iroise
CS 83818, 29238 Brest Cedex 3, France
Tel: +33 2 29 00 14 27
Fax: +33 2 29 00 12 82
Email: yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Internet: http://omega.enstb.org/yannis
ICBM address: 48°21'31.57"N 4°34'16.76"W
...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un aquarium,
mieux vaut n'être pas poisson

...the ball I threw while playing in the park
has not yet reached the ground

Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert sprechen,
nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen mögen.