[Samba] Samba and Password Complexity

Moray Henderson (ICT) Moray.Henderson at ict.om.org
Fri Sep 17 06:01:28 MDT 2010

A password set from Windows XP requires a certain level of complexity:
by default, Windows will not allow a password of "aaaaaa", but it will
allow "Johnny1".  I've been experimenting with a check password script
so that both would be rejected.  That worked.  However, when I removed
the check password script line from smb.conf and restarted Samba,
Windows did not return to its original behaviour, but allowed me to set
"aaaaaa".  The default complexity checking had been removed.  Two
questions:

  1) How do I re-enable the default behaviour?
  2) Is that supposed to happen?

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"