[Samba] question about CIFS client glitches

starlight at binnacle.cx starlight at binnacle.cx
Thu Sep 16 18:00:14 MDT 2010

At 05:50 PM 9/16/2010 -0500, Steve French wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM,  <starlight at binnacle.cx> wrote:
>> Trying out a CIFS mount of a W2K8 x64 file system from CentOS
>> 5.5 and running into problems, and trying to figure out how to
>> proceed.
>
>This is quite old kernel, but perhaps it was updated to include more
>recent fixes - can you view the version information on the file, ie
>the cifs.ko module (you can do this by running modinfo on
>cifs.ko)

Thank you for the follow-up.  Per my last message this was my
being a clueless in regards to the lack of hard/soft link
support in the old version.  'modinfo' pegs it as 1.60RH.

Hopefully RHEL6 will include CIFS file links as it might work
better to compile on Linux from a Windows share rather than
vice-versa.  'makedepend' runs painfully slow from Windows over
a Samba share unless IPoIB is used for transport.

Perhaps I'll try it under Fedora, though in general I find
wrestling with the constant change of the moving-target distro
too much.

It is quite encouraging to see CIFS work in general.  Last time
I tried three or four years ago the system crashed shortly after
issuing the mount command.