[Samba] Samba 4 moved mount.cifs and umount.cifs to /usr/local/bin/?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 17:37:26 MDT 2010

I'm trying to work from the Samba 4 source and SRPM's to build a nice
clean Samba package for work, to test some of its features. Overall,
I'm happy with what I see, but the new "autogen.sh" seems to construct
its "source4/configure" script from these "build" tools, and they
entirely ignore the concept of "sbindir" in installing the mount.cifs
and umount.cifs utilitis: those wind up in "bindir", not "sbindir".

Was that change deliberate? If not, it's going to mess with RHEL and
similar operating systems where those system utilities are not
normally accessible to users, and are normally summoned from the
"mount" command with the "mount -t cifs" option. It's especially going
to break autofs.

Any observations or suggestions on how best to address that? I can
move them to the "sbindir" as a post-install process, but that's
begging for confusion.