[Samba] question about CIFS client glitches

starlight at binnacle.cx starlight at binnacle.cx
Thu Sep 16 15:39:06 MDT 2010

Hello,

Trying out a CIFS mount of a W2K8 x64 file system from CentOS
5.5 and running into problems, and trying to figure out how to
proceed.

I mount up the Windows share, then run a script that expands
about ten TAR format archives containing a couple of hundred
files with the 'pax' utility.  Then it removes about two dozen
files.  The script is a primitive source-code version extractor.

Unfortunately the resulting tree is quite incorrect.  Some of the
files that should be deleted by the 'rm' commands are not, and
some of the files that should be there from the expansion are
missing.  The script works fine with EXT2/3/4 and NFSv3 mounts.

So it seems to me CIFS mounts are not ready for use in
production or development.

Before I give up, is there anything obvious that I'm missing?
I searched for relevant bugs in Red Hat, Samba and Kernel.org
bugzillas and didn't find anything that seems to match.

The version mix in use is a little odd.  The kernel and
'cifs.ko' modules are pure RHEL/CentOS version 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5,
but instead of using the distro version of Samba the
system is running vanilla Samba 3.5.2.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks