[Samba] Machine account reject - additional troubleshooting

Bryan K. Walton bryan-walton at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 16 12:41:54 MDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 20:11 +0100, Miguel Medalha wrote:

> > (My last suspision is, that win7 is doing the machine authentication
> > in a different [encryption)] way as the XP machine are doing
> > that as XP machines do not have that problem)

> On each Windows 7 computer, we had to change two settings in "Local
> Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options". Those settings
> were:
>
> "Network Security: Do not store LAN Manager hash value on next
> password" change from "Enabled" to "Disabled"
> "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" change from "Not
> Defined" to "Send LM & NTLM responses"

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried these changing these two settings and it
has not made a difference for us.

One interesting observation I have made is that the logs are only being
flooded from a portion of our Windows 7 machines.  This has me really
puzzled -- I have built them all following the same steps and using the
same software.  Go figure.

-Bryan