[Samba] VFS objects and mount_smbfs on Mac?

Dirk Langner dirk.langner at tcs.com
Thu Sep 16 06:16:25 MDT 2010

Hi all,

Is that intended to work? I have a Mac client connected to a Samba share
on a linux server (samba 3.2.0). For debugging purposes I've set up a VFS
object on my share, which shall trace the actions on the filesystem.

guest ok = yes
vfs object = full_audit
full_audit:success = all
full_audit:failure = all
full_audit:facility = LOCAL7
full_audit:priority = ALERT

and adjusted the log parameters to

log level = 0 vfs:10

and got the output suddenly according to the syslog in to the file
localmessages.

Now I've mounted this share to a Mac (10.6.?) using this command as user
mount_smbfs //user:pw at server/share /Users/Shared/share

When entering this directory I don't get any entries into the log file
(localmessages), which shall trace the activities. Finder doesn't work
either. But when accessing the share using smbclient, I get every action
traced. But entering the _mounted_ (smbfs) directory, the full_audit trace
does not produce any output.

Are the VFS objects not working on _mounted_ directories or am I missing
something?

Thanks for help,
        Dirk

P.S.: I can't access the systems right now, so I can't provide more
detailed infos about software releases at the moment etc.

Dirk Langner
Phone: +49 89 - 94 00 9-345
Tata Consultancy Services Deutschland GmbH
Ph: +49 89 - 94 00 9-345
Cell: +49 - 173 - 6780 652
Mailto: dirk.langner at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing

Directors:  Mr. S.Mahalingam, Mr. N.Chandrasekaran, Mr. Pauroos Karkaria,
Mr. Per Bragée
Register No.: Frankfurt HRB 34240, Düsseldorf HRB 34240, Hamburg HRB
34240, München HRB 34240, Walldorf HRB 34240
and any attachments. Thank you