[Samba] Group share problem

Lansley, Bob Bob.Lansley at analog.com
Wed Sep 15 03:13:54 MDT 2010

Hi

I've set up some group accessible shares on a rhel4u8 linux box running samba 3.0.33

This appeared to be functioning correctly (a week ago) but now users are having issues with accessing the shares when mapped to a drive in Windows XP.

Shares were set up as follows:

[Project]
        comment = Project area
        path = /home/mymount/Project
        writable = yes
        directory mask = 0775
        create mask = 0775

/home/mymount/Project is automounted from a NetApp fileserver and has gid bit set i.e.:

# ls -al /home/mymount/
total 24
drwxrwxrwx   7 root    root    4096 Sep 14 18:32 .
drwxr-xr-x  15 root    root       0 Sep 15 11:01 ..
drwxrwsrwx  72 lansley sharegroup 4096 Sep 14 14:36 Project
drwxrwxrwx  34 root    root    4096 Sep 15 11:00 .snapshot

I have created a Unix group called sharegroup with relevant usernames contained.

Shares are mapped at login. Double clicking on a share in Windows Explorer gives an access denied message. Right clicking on the drive shows a couple of strange entries in the pulldown:

Open(0)
Autoplay
Open
Explore

Using Open or Explore opens the drive with no issue but the Open(0) is the default hence double click doesn't work.

The data within had been migrated from an old Win2K box and there were autorun.inf files at the top level. I have deleted these.

Is it possible Samba has cached these somewhere? If so where and how do I clear it?

Cheers,

Bob