[Samba] Creating users difference between tbsam and smbpasswd backends

Michel Correge Michel.Correge at onera.fr
Tue Sep 14 01:05:49 MDT 2010

Hi,
I have installed Samba 3.5.4 on a Sparc Solaris 10 system and when I try to create groups or users
on the PDC, I get different results using smbpasswd or tdbsam backend.

For an existing Unix user (or group), with smbpasswd backend, the RID is, as before, set to
2*UID+algorithmic_rid_base.
For the same user, using tdbsam password backend, the RID is set to some value like 1000, 1001,...

Is this correct or is there some hidden parameter incorrectly set in my smb.conf ?

[global]
         unix charset = iso8859-1
         workgroup = DCSD-T
         interfaces = bge0
         map to guest = Bad Password
         passdb backend = tdbsam:/var/samba-3.5.4/private/passdb.tdb
         username map = /usr/local/samba-%v/lib/usermap
         log file = /var/samba-%v/log/samba-%m.log
         printcap name = /usr/local/samba-3.5.4/lib/printcap
         disable spoolss = Yes
         logon path =
         logon drive = Q:
         logon home = \\%L\%U