[Samba] locking strangeness

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Mon Sep 13 13:16:32 MDT 2010

Mystified...

I have two ostensibly identical Dell PE2900 servers running Centos 5.5
(kernel 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5) and samba 3.5.1. The smb.conf files are
identical. On server #1, opening an Excel spreadsheet (any spreadsheet,
any size, any client) takes about 1 second. On server #2, opening an Excel
spreadsheet takes about 60-90 seconds, and I get a lot of these in the
log:

   fcntl_lock: fcntl lock gave errno 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)

If I insert "fake oplocks = yes" in smb.conf for server #2, spreadsheet
opens now take 1 second, just like server #1. After having looked at
everything I can think of, I cannot see the difference between the two
boxes, but different they obviously are. Someone please give me a clue...

Steve