[Samba] Machine account reject - additional troubleshooting

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sun Sep 12 13:11:10 MDT 2010

> (My last suspision is, that win7 is doing the machine authentication
> in a different [encryption)] way as the XP machine are doing
> that as XP machines do not have that problem)

Maybe this is related to your problem:

At work we have a couple of Oki C5550MFP multifunction printers that
scan directly to CIFS network folders.
We recently found that this function no longer worked on some new
computers with Windows 7.
We looked on Oki's Web site and found the solution there, which seems
indeed to be related to a new way of doing authentication on Windows 7.

On each Windows 7 computer, we had to change two settings in "Local
Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options". Those settings were:

"Network Security: Do not store LAN Manager hash value on next password"
change from "Enabled" to "Disabled"
"Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" change from "Not
Defined" to "Send LM & NTLM responses"

Each Windows 7 user having a scanning share then had to change their
passwords, after which ****the correct behavior was restored.

The procedure is described on this Oki page:

http://www.oki.pt/support/printer/troubleshooting/detail.aspx?id=tcm:104-108998-16&prodid=tcm:104-4459
<http://www.oki.pt/support/printer/troubleshooting/detail.aspx?id=tcm:104-108998-16&prodid=tcm:104-4459>

I hope this helps somewhat.
Regards.