[Samba] what flag shows ldapsam is built in?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 02:30:03 MDT 2010

Hi

On 8 September 2010 07:26, grant little <grantliddle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM, grant little <grantliddle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what  flag from smbd -b confirms ldapsam is built in?
>>
>> I see:
>> # smbd -b | grep -i ldap
>>    HAVE_LDAP_H
>>    HAVE_LDAP
>>    HAVE_LDAP_ADD_RESULT_ENTRY
>>    HAVE_LDAP_INIT
>>    HAVE_LDAP_INITIALIZE
>>    HAVE_LDAP_SASL_WRAPPING
>>    HAVE_LDAP_SET_REBIND_PROC
>>    HAVE_LIBLDAP
>>    LDAP_SET_REBIND_PROC_ARGS
>>    idmap_ldap_init
>>     pdb_ldap pdb_smbpasswd pdb_tdbsam pdb_wbc_sam

It seems pdb_ldap is the one.

>> I was expecting to see something with ldapsam in there say for instance
>> pdb_ldapsam or HAVE_LDAPSAM but I'm not sure what the flag is called and
>> haven't found a list of all the flags when searching samba.org
>>
>> thanks.
>
> In case anyone else is looking I finally found the build flags here:
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build-time_configuration_options
>
> however I am none the wiser as they don't correspond 1 to 1 to the output of
> smbd -b and man on smbd just says that -b provides information about how
> samba was built.
>
> it's possible that that pdb_ldap means ldapsam support but I can't find that
> documented  even when searching the latest source.   If that is so then why
> is there a pdb_tdbsam and a pdb_wbc_sam when to be consistent that should be
> just pdb_tdb or the other should be pdb_ldapsam.

I suspect this is just how things happened to be named at the time and
there's no real point to making the naming all consistent now.

> In the source I see mention of both pdb_ldap and ldapsam.
> I suspect the only way I will find out is by actually doing builds with the
> flags on and off and seeing what happens.
> Confused.

Well source3/Makefile.in contains this:

bin/ldapsam. at SHLIBEXT@: $(BINARY_PREREQS) passdb/pdb_ldap.o passdb/pdb_nds.o
	@echo "Building plugin $@"
	@$(SHLD_MODULE) passdb/pdb_ldap.o passdb/pdb_nds.o $(LDAP_LIBS)

which basically means that to build the ldapsam shared object file,
you need the BINARY_PREREQS and also pdb_ldap.o and pdb_nds.o, so I
think that pretty much points to pdb_ldap being what you were looking
for.

Also just below that are similar sections for building other *sam
modules, e.g. tdbsam.so from pdb_tdb.o.

Hope that helps :)

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>