[Samba] Samba Windows 7 and logon scripts

Aaron Solochek aarons-samba at aberrant.org
Fri Sep 10 13:54:01 MDT 2010

I have spent a lot of time dealing with this, but I only briefly tried
using the settings in smb.conf to accomplish this drive mapping.

I have discovered that using group policy does work, but only if you're
mapping the drives in a GPO that is applied to users, not computers.
That is, the mappings work if you have all your users in some OU (mine
is called people) that has some GPO (People_GP) linked to it.  In
People_GP, User Configuration->Preferences->Windows Settings->Drive Maps.

I had mistakenly thought that settings in the User Configuration section
of a GPO would apply to any user logging onto a machine which is part of
the OU the GPO is linked with.  I wish that were the case, but
unfortunately it's not.

I also had logon scripts working in the same People_GP (User
Config->Administrative Templates->System->Logon).  I never tried making
those machine-specific.

-Aaron