[Samba] Samba4, file permissions not respected

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Fri Sep 10 07:35:53 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 08:01:17AM -0500, Philip M. White wrote:
> However, I can log in as Jane Doe, who is a Domain User but AFAIK not in
> the SYSTEM group, and modify that file.  As Jane Doe I am not able to
> delete the file or change its permissions, however.  Why is Jane Doe
> able to modify the file?

Apologies, this is not a Samba problem. I am not experienced with NTFS
security, so I got confused in all the inheritance.

Now it appears to work as it should.

However, one related complaint: the "Effective Permissions" tab within
Advanced Security Settings fails to calculate effective permissions no
matter what user I try.  When I enter any user, I get "Windows cannot
calculate the effective permissions for <user>."  Is this a Samba
problem?

--
Philip