[Samba] Samba4, file permissions not respected

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Fri Sep 10 07:01:17 MDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 01:51:42PM +0200, Daniel Müller wrote:
> from your windows client login to your domain as administrator.
> choose the share go to properties security advanced give the group and
> users permissions.
> It should work.

Which permissions do you mean? Right now I have a file on my share that
has these permissions according to the Advanced Security Settings
window:

Allow - Joe Smith - Full Control - <not inherited>
Allow - Domain Users - Read & execute - <not inherited>
Allow - Everyone - Read & execute - <not inherited>
Allow - SYSTEM - Full Control - <not inherited>

Joe Smith was the one who created this file.

However, I can log in as Jane Doe, who is a Domain User but AFAIK not in
the SYSTEM group, and modify that file.  As Jane Doe I am not able to
delete the file or change its permissions, however.  Why is Jane Doe
able to modify the file?

--
Philip