[Samba] Samba4 and Windows 7 password change

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Wed Sep 8 21:07:53 MDT 2010

Hi, all,

With the latest Samba4, I am not able to change a user's password via
Windows 7.

I was able to successfully set a password from within RSAT's Users while
adding a new user, but that user cannot change his own password.

When I try, Windows 7 tells me that the server rejected the password
change because the new password doesn't meet the complexity/length
requirements.

On Samba's end, I see this:
Changing password of PMWWORLD\sue (S-1-5-21-1802782687-180428704-2922416880-1106)
kpasswdd: Password must be at least 7 characters long, and cannot match any of your 24 previous passwords

I get this regardless of what password I try.  For the record, I tried
Secret$1 and Secret$2, both of which meet the first condition and which
I've tried for the first time ever.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

--
Philip