[Samba] samba acl - able to change permissions that contradict user security setting

suresh.kandukuru at emc.com suresh.kandukuru at emc.com
Wed Sep 8 20:04:03 MDT 2010

Smith, Thanks again  for answering. I have gone through samba source code , I have assumed that when the samba user "admin"  gives read write access to "test_subfolder" for the user "user1" from the windows security tab  ( user1 has read only access to share "test")  samba code posix_acl.c look at the read list of the share "test" ( since the user1 in read list ) and denies  assigning rw access to test_subfolder. it looks like code is not designed like this.

if you don't mind , Can you please explain this ,

- although you would be asking
it to restrict the admin's rights, which wouldn't be proper behavior.
Plus it then wouldn't work like a Windows box, which is a primary
goal.

Thanks
Suresh

> Thanks smith for the quick reply. what I want to know is ,can not samba source code  prevent the changing setting rw access to "test_subfolder" user1 , since he has only read only access on  the share "test".

I suppose you could patch it to do so - although you would be asking