[Samba] Implementing Samba4

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Fri Sep 3 06:03:23 MDT 2010

"Michael Wood" <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:

>2010/9/1 Daniel Müller <mueller at tropenklinik.de>:
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:00:29 +0200, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi

>[...]
>> rpc
>>>
>>> I doubt "net rpc vampire" will do anything except give you an error
>>> message :)  I believe the "rpc" vs. "ads" etc. options are considered
>>> to have been a mistake, so are not supported by Samba4's net command.
>>> Also, there is no support currently for vampiring from Samba3 to
>>> Samba4.  Someone is working on a migration script, though.  Check the
>
>> How about: 2 Samba4-DCs with OpenLDAP 2.4.8 in Multi-Master-Replication
>> at: http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2008-April/058567.html

First everybody who wants to help us to put openldap or ds in order so
that it works is welcomed send us the patch!

Then for the next future we didn't plan to have drs (ad replication
protocol) working for technical reasons (lack of transaction in ldap for
the moment), it means that you have to rely on ldap server internal
replication.

Now I'm not sure that forcing a second DC as oliver did 2 years ago is
still a very good idea as we matured somehow our implementation.

 >I think perhaps Samba4 worked better with OpenLDAP in the past and it
>should also be fixed to work with it again in future, but at the
>moment it won't work:
>
>http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-July/072445.html
>"For various reasons, the OpenLDAP backend for Samba4 is not functional
>at this time."
>
>Here's the message where Lukasz Zalewski says he's working on the
>Samba 3 to Samba 4 migration script:
>http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-August/072683.html

And this kind of effort is mostly assured to receive some support as
it's quite logical to think that some people with a s3+ldap backend will
want to move a full blown Samba4 DC when version 4.0.0 will be released.

Matthieu.