[Samba] could not obtain winbind separator

Isakson, John AVLNA john.isakson at avl.com
Thu Sep 2 13:21:15 MDT 2010

I am getting the message "could not obtain winbind separator" when I try

wbinfo -a user%password

and

ntlm_auth  --request-nt-key -username=<username>

both commands fail.

I have no idea what the error means.  I have samba running on another
machine with the same smb.conf file without problems.

I am running Red Hat 5 and samba 3.0.33 on both machines.

John Isakson

Systems Administrator

AVL Test Systems, Inc.

47519 Halyard Dr.

Plymouth, MI 48170

(734)414-9650

"ITAR WARNING - technical data as defined in 22 ? CFR 120.10 of the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR) pursuant to the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22 U.S.C. Sec 2751 et seq.) must not be sent via e-mail to avl.com. Please contact an AVL representative for file transfer protocol regarding ITAR controlled technical data."