[Samba] Multiple Samba PDCs doubt

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 07:43:44 MDT 2010

You should only have one PDC for a domain.  You can have multiple
"Domain Controllers."  But you can have only one "Primary Domain
Controller."  Any other domain controllers must be "Backup Domain
Controllers."

All domain controllers provide logon functionality to clients.  All DC's
use the same account backend.  Only a PDC can change the account
database (e.g. when accounts are added, or password are changed.)

With true Windows "NT4" domain controllers, a readonly copy of account
database is replicated to the BDC's from PDC's.

With Samba DC's, you have a common LDAP backend (this can be a single
LDAP server or multiple LDAP servers configured for replication.)

The samba BDC should have "domain logons=yes"  but other masters should
be no.

In terms of master browsers etc, the PDC should be the master browser.
I would also configure the PDC as a WINS server-  that makes a lot of
those issues go away.

By default, XP clients will prefer to logon to a BDC over a PDC.    In
most cases this is fine.