[Samba] samba 3.0.21b on Solaris 10 U5 : Error - checking configure summary ... configure: error: summary failure. Aborting config

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 09:14:26 MDT 2010

Solaris 10 (with latest patches) should have samba 3.0.37 already included.

"smbd -b" indicates it was built with ADS support.  I don't know if it
really works reliably or not, since I am not integrating with active
directory.

Sunfreeware.com  samba did not include either zfs or nsswitch
support.    Also, Sunfreeware samba uses openldap while Sun's samba uses
the OS ldap functionality.

I found compiling Samba on Solaris to be quite a challenge.  I did get
EVENTUALLY get 3.4.8 compiled but not 3.5.2.   I had to symlink
/usr/ccs/bin/ld to gld.  I also used gcc not Sun cc.

It seems pretty obvious to me that Sun will not be doing any more work
with Samba since they have an alternative CIFS ("Windows") server
product now.