[Samba] Access Samba from Windows 3.1

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Thu Sep 2 08:00:25 MDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Public Mailing Lists
<lists at lists.cichon.com> wrote:
> How do I need to configure Samba in order to connect to the latest Samba
> server again? Unfortunately, I can't change the configuration of these old
> Windows installations. Hopefully, there are some options that I can write
> into smb.conf in order to re-enable old style Windows networking.

Interesting. Windows 3.1 with the workgroup add-on package (I used
this with DOS) or WFWG 3.11?

Always best to read the Changelog for all of the versions between the
one you were at to the one you're moving to. As you don't mention
versions I can only guess that there was a change in the default
setting of some of these: "lanman auth", "client lanman auth",
"encrypt passwords", "client plaintext auth". There may be others
changes you want/need to be aware of as well.