[Samba] permissions question

alexr samba.x.pastagod at spamgourmet.com
Wed Sep 1 06:14:44 MDT 2010

On Tue Aug 31 2010 22:54:17 GMT+0200 Han Solo <gforums2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a samba share that has the following permissions:
>
>          create mask = 0775
>          force create mode = 0664
>          directory create mask = 0775
>          force directory mode = 0764
>
> 5.) I have a basic .txt file I created on my windows desktop by
> right-clicking>new>text document. I copy that file over to the share in
> question&  it gets the following permission: -rwxr--r-- where is it getting
> that permission from as I'm expecting it to have 0775 or 0664 permisions&
> neither is coming over.

I'm experiencing a similar problem (see my post at
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-August/157775.html). Could you
please try the following:

- set your "create mask" and "force create mode" both to 664; this
should result in 664 for all new files (the first removes all bits that
are not in 664, and the latter adds all bits still missing to 664)
- create a text file on your share; according to your statement the
permissions should be different from 664
- in windows, open the security settings for that file and change
something, e.g. give the group full access; if it's the same issue as
mine, it shouldn't really matter what you change
- confirm and close the security settings
- now look at the permissions on your linux machine; do they fit your
presets now?

With best regards,
Alex