[Samba] failed to set machine spn: Operations error

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 03:50:46 MDT 2010

On 31 August 2010 18:15, rajat swarup <rajats at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM, rajat swarup <rajats at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have samba, winbind, kerberos installed on an ubuntu server.  I have
>> a windows server 2003 based domain.  when i try to execute the
>> following command:
>> net ads join -U user

"net ads join" is valid for Samba 3, but not Samba 4 (which I see you
have installed).

In future you should mention the version of Samba and Ubuntu etc. that
you are using and it's normally a good idea to include your smb.conf
file too.

>> I get the following error:
>> Failed to join domain: failed to set machine spn: Operations error
>>
>> Kerberos authentication works fine and I can get the kerberos ticket
>> just fine. This setup was working fine earlier.  I was able to
>> authenticate to the windows server
>> This started happening when I upgraded the samba version using aptitude.
>>
> Also I get the following error when I restart the samba daemon
> (/etc/init.d/samba4 start)

Uninstall Samba 4 and install Samba 3 instead.

Samba4 is still alpha.  There's an old, experimental version in Ubuntu
10.04, but I don't think it's what you want.

> Unknown enumerated value 'ads' for 'security'

This is an option that is valid for Samba 3, but not for Samba 4.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>