[Samba] Implementing Samba4

Juan Asensio Sánchez okelet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 02:35:26 MDT 2010

El 1 de septiembre de 2010 09:54, Daniel Müller
<mueller at tropenklinik.de>escribió:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 09:42:45 +0200, Juan Asensio Sánchez <okelet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to install Samba 4 on a Ubuntu 10.04 Server machine. I have
> > downloaded the sources, compiled it and installed. Now I have to do the
> > provision step. I want to use an existing LDAP server (389 Directory
> > Server)
> > installed in other machine (well, really a lot of machines, yet
> configured
> > for replication). Also, the servers only accept SSL connections. But all
> > the
> Why do not just use the samba 4 internal ldap-server?? And just net rpc
> vampire the users and groups from
> the sanba3/Ldap?? I think with samba 4 the old way samba3/ldap just makes
> no sense at all. What should be the advantage of
> the old way??
> Greetings Daniel

We have more than 60 LDAP servers already workin, with custom schemas, and
lot of users and groups, so I think the migration is not trivial. Also, our
LDAP servers are not used only for Samba, and I think 389 DS is more
appropiate for high load environments.