No subject

Wed Oct 20 02:45:58 MDT 2010

Example ConfigurationSamba as a Domain Member Server
This method involves addition of the following parameters in the=20
smb.conf file:
security =3d domainworkgroup =3d MIDEARTH
In order for this method to work, the Samba server needs to join the=20
MS Windows NT security domain. This is done as follows:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ServerType.html#i=
d2559628

Use of this mode of authentication requires there to be a standard=20
UNIX account for each user in order to assign a UID once the account=20
has been authenticated by the Windows domain controller. This account=20
can be blocked to prevent logons by clients other than MS Windows=20
through means such as setting an invalid shell in the /etc/passwd=20
entry. The best way to allocate an invalid shell to a user account is=20
to set the shell to the file /bin/false. Domain controllers can be=20
located anywhere that is convenient. The best advice is to have a BDC=20
on every physical network segment, and if the PDC is on a remote=20
network segment the use of WINS (see Network Browsing for more=20
information) is almost essential.
An alternative to assigning UIDs to Windows users on a Samba member=20
server is presented in Winbind, Winbind: Use of Domain Accounts.

Also see:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.htm=
l#domain-member-server