[Samba] GPLv3 and Mac OS X

Stephen Norman stenorman2001 at me.com
Sat Oct 30 22:03:53 MDT 2010

Hi Jermey,

Thanks for helping me understand all the a bit better.

According to discussions on the LLVM mailing list (sorry I don't have the link) when LLVM's libc++ was released, a number of people commented saying that Apple employees are currently unable to work on GPLv3 software, possibly due to some disagreement between Apple and the FSF. My best guess would be something to do with Section 11 of GPLv3 (patents), and that Apple may have made deals after the date specified (28 March 2007) that cannot be easily revoked or altered and would not allow them to meet the requirements of GPLv3. I don't think we'll ever know though.

Thanks again,

Stephen