[Samba] writable = yes for Profiles in smb.conf.default

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Sat Oct 30 09:39:40 MDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Benedikt Panzer
<Benedikt_Panzer at gmx.de> wrote:
> I'm suggesting to add line 'writable = yes' for Profiles share in file examples/smb.conf.default.
> Then the complete share def looked like

I'd vote for "read only = no" - as the man page seems to indicate that
"read only" is the "preferred" synonym - by not describing it as a
synonym.

I'd like to see the complete removal of the synonyms from smb.conf.
With "writable" as a synonym for "writeable" which is an inverted
synonym for "read only" I've seen shares in smb.conf's that use both
instead of one or the other. And even examples/smb.conf.default uses a
mixture of "read only" and "writable" (although not in the same
share).

I think the plethora of synonyms for smb.conf cause confusion and
assist in the creation of mistakes. Time to clean up this mess, decide
on the preferred synonyms and deprecate the others, with testparm
warnings, followed by removal a couple of releases later.

Chris