[Samba] Can't change password where Samba users are Linux users

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Oct 28 15:35:53 MDT 2010

My PDC is set up where the users are all Linux users.

I added the following lines to my smb.conf:

   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updat
ed*successfully*

I go to C-A-D and use the change password button.  I get back a message
that I do not have permission to change me password.

I do not see any messages in any of the smb or nmb logs after the
failure.  What am I missing?  Below is my [global section:

     workgroup = Home
     server string = home.home
     netbios name = hda
     printing = cups
     printcap name = cups
     load printers = yes
     cups options = raw
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     log level = 0
     max log size = 150
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY
     preferred master = yes
     os level = 65
     domain master = yes
     local master = yes
     admin users = u1, u2, u3
     domain logons = yes
     logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
     logon drive = h:
     logon home = \\%N\%U
     time server = yes
     unix extensions = no
     wide links = yes
     veto files = /*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
     security = user
     username map script = /usr/share/hda-platform/hda-usermap
     large readwrite = yes
     encrypt passwords = yes
     dos charset = CP850
     unix charset = UTF8
     display charset =  LOCALE
     guest account = nobody
     map to guest = Bad User
     wins support = yes
     printer admin = root, @ntadmin, administrator
     logon script = %U.bat
     # FIXME - is 99 (nobody) the right group?
     add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 99 -s
/bin/false -M %u