[Samba] Winbind behaviour odd in 3.4.9 and 3.5.6 vs 3.2.14 (Samba domain with Samba member servers)

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 08:08:00 MDT 2010

Hi,

I have recently upgraded a system with a Samba BDC, PDC and a couple of
member servers from 3.2.14 to 3.4.9 (and also tested with 3.5.6).

There appears to be some problem with Winbind (we need to run it on all
servers as we have a trust relationship to a domain at another office).

I have an Idmap range set up in our LDAP database.

With 3.2.14, all worked well. The Idmap ou would be populated with, and
only with, entries for the accounts on the trusted domain.

However, with 3.4.9 and 3.5.6, as soon as a member server is accessed,
spurious entries appear in the Idmap ou from the "own domain". In
addition, other entries are added for local groups (these are not
showing in the screenshot but they are S-1-1-0,S-1-5-11 and S-1-5-2). On
another test domain I get entries like

I have attached a screenshot  from an LDAP client to illustrate the
issue. The green box shows the entries I expect (from the trusted
domain). The red boxes show entries that have only appeared since the
upgrade.

I am concerned about this as all the entries for the local domain (dom
sid ends 8426) may be causing access control to stop working correctly -
I have not seen any hard evidence of this so far, but there have been
times we had to restart winbind on the member servers after the initial
startup as no-one could access shares on them.

The trusted domain is the one ending 4828. Please also note the entry
highlighted in red at the bottom. That SID is the one for one of the
newly upgraded member servers (plus -513 for Domain Users). Again I
don't know why that has been added.

Member server smb.conf:
[global]
unix charset = LOCALE
workgroup = CENSORED_domain
netbios name = CENSORED_server
security = DOMAIN
interfaces = eth0, lo

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.1.137
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 1048576
smb ports = 139 445
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast hosts
time server = no
printcap name = CUPS
show add printer wizard = Yes
enable privileges = yes
ldap suffix = dc=censored,dc=net
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers,ou=Accounts
ldap user suffix = ou=People,ou=Accounts
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=censored,dc=net
ldap timeout = 20
idmap backend = ldap:ldap://192.168.1.137
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind nested groups = yes
winbind trusted domains only = yes
winbind use default domain = no
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
#winbind cache time = 1200
allow trusted domains = yes
map acl inherit = Yes
ea support = Yes
wins server = 192.168.1.137
nt acl support = yes

PDC smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = CENSORED_domain
netbios name = CENSORED_DC
interfaces = eth0, lo
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 104857
smb ports = 139 445
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast hosts
time server = yes
#printcap name = CUPS
show add printer wizard = Yes
enable privileges = yes
ldap suffix = dc=censored,dc=net
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers,ou=Accounts
ldap user suffix = ou=People,ou=Accounts
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=censored,dc=net
ldap ssl = no
ldap timeout = 60
idmap backend = ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind nested groups = yes
winbind trusted domains only = yes
winbind use default domain = no
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
allow trusted domains = yes
map acl inherit = Yes
ea support = Yes
#printing = cups
# printer admin = root
wins support = yes
log level = 1
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
logon drive = H:
#os level = 35
passdb expand explicit = yes
add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m '%u'
delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p '%g'
delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel '%g'
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m '%u' '%g'
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x '%u' '%g'
enable privileges = Yes
set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g '%g' '%u'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w '%u'
logon home = ""
logon path = ""

Regards

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 1200
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on the FSA Register; number: 190856)