[Samba] Domain user printing

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 04:39:12 MDT 2010

On 25/10/2010 19:52, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> It looks like a domain user has NO printing permission.
>
> Do I need Policy Editor for this? Where do I get it to run on an XP Pro
> system?
>
> I have seen various notes about this, but I can't make head or tails of
> them.

Robert,
Have a look at
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_System_Policies_with_Samba
This explains deployment of system policy through samba 3.X. It also
outlines the difference between system policy and group policy
You can still use Local Group Policy (through gpedit.msc), but as the
name suggests its local to every machine, and not deployable from the
Domain Controller.
If you using samba4 have a look at
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO#Step_1:_Installing_Windows_Remote_Administration_Tools_onto_Windows
These tools include Group Policy Management console that works very well
with samba4

HTH

Luk