[Samba] Our success story with samba4

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 02:42:43 MDT 2010

On 10/25/2010 08:31 AM, Michael Wood wrote:
Hi Michael,
> On 25 October 2010 08:45, Daniel Müller<mueller at tropenklinik.de>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>> besides nsd it is possible to make dynamic update work with bind on centos
>> 5.5.
>
> Yes, sure.  It's just that bind configuration seems to be a
> significantly difficult part of getting Samba 4 working (many people
> seem to have trouble with it) so I was wondering if nsd was any
> better.
>
> I am using bind, but I don't really need dynamic DNS updates because I
> am only using Samba 4 for authentication of services on a couple of
> servers.  i.e. no workstations.  Static IPs.  No machines
> joining/leaving etc.
This was our reasoning for switching to nsd (as we run nsd for other
services). We do have machines joining/leaving, but the ip's and names
are static so the records can be generated beforehand.

> Since I have bind working, I am not looking to switch to nsd.  I was
> just wondering why Lukasz chose it, but I suppose they were using it
> already, before implementing Samba 4.
We started with bind and it was all working (RHEL 6 beta), but when we
switched to CentOS 5 the bind was not new enough. We wanted to avoid
needles manual builds of bind (in general any packages) and keep
everything packaged. (In saying that i had to build ldap module for
python 2.6 to get the import from ldap script working)

Regards

Luk