[Samba] auto mount of home share

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Oct 20 21:29:05 MDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 11:01 PM, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Robert Moskowitz<rgm at htt-consult.com>  wrote:
>
>> I would have thought that all the lines in the smb.conf was setting up an
>> auto mount of the home share, and I did not have to put it in the logon.bat
>> script.  I have:
>>
> The systems have to be domain members and the users must be domain
> users and logging on to the domain (not the local system).

I added the system to the domain successfully and now I get the log onto
domain option.  I used a user I created on the server, is there
something special to define a domain user?  And yes I logged onto the
domain, creating a domain user on the system (user.domain).

> You may also need the [netlogon] share (although the logon script does not
> need to explicilty create map the "home" drive).

The logon.bat is executing.  I am getting all the shares from the bat
file.  I see the netlogon share and can mount it and open the logon.bat
file.

> Also your "logon home" looks possibly suspect, I have "logon home = \\%N\%U" (the
> default) on several servers (for years now) and they all work (for
> hundreds of users). Where are you getting your documentation? When in
> doubt don't fuck with the defaults (man smb.conf) unless you know what
> you're doing and have a very good reason.

This is what the developers of the Amahi.org distro have set up.  hda is
the Netbios name of the server.  Does the case (%u instead of %U)
matter?  There is a bit to changing this if needed; I have to edit the
script that builds smb.conf.

Well I just made the change and now it is working.  Now to find out if
it is %N (how can I find out its value?) or %U.